Wednesday, July 17, 2013

birthday, baking, blessing

I love our little family of two.  Just yesterday I was thinking about how much I love coming home from work.  Don't get me wrong, I love my job, but when my husband is at home waiting for me, he trumps my students.  He does so well on keeping a close eye on the time, and an ear to the door, in order to welcome me home and opening the door for me.  I am so blessed to be married to this man.



Our home continues to get settled in.  The joy and curse of having a two bedroom apartment is that things can be stored in one bedroom and the door can be shut.  We are excited though to have a guest coming, Lord willing, the end of this month....my brother!  That being said, we want our guestroom to be presentable.  For the rest of you out there, know the room should be clean and ready for you now.

Last Monday I enjoyed my first birthday as a married woman.  My mister spoiled me and made my day extra special.  I had not mentioned it to my students on Monday (I don't like attention on my birthday), but it came up on Tuesday that the day before had been my birthday.  One girl came over and asked "Why didn't you tell us?"  Quickly, I had to think on my feet, "Because I wanted to keep it a secret".  With a sad and confused look on her face she replied, "But I thought you told us that keeping secrets aren't respectful".  Have I mentioned how much I love the sensitivity of children?

This week's theme is "Summer Chefs".  In a questionnaire I sent home to each parent, one explained that she would like to see her child start making wiser choices when it came to food....her child loved junk food.  Keeping this in my mind, I decided to tie nutrition into our theme.  This has been a huge success, and a lot of fun.  This student brought grapes for a snack yesterday, and plain lettuce today.  During outside play time she does "pull ups" on the monkey bars, and jogs around the playground.  I am so proud of her excitement in health, and can only pray it lasts!  Fun to see a step taken in meeting a positive goal that a parent had for her child.

Instead of art this week, they are making a simple food, that they then eat at snack time.  Monday they made apple sandwiches.  Due to a peanut allergy, we used fluff instead.  Because of the sugar in fluff, we did not use chocolate chips.  I brought in some homemade granola and all of the students loved these.  One Tuesday, I brought in cupcakes and homemade icing.  We did a mini art lesson on colors, and they made their own colors.  They loved this too, but what child wouldn't when they were putting 2 inches of frosting on top.  Today has been my personal favorite thus far.  We made "Veggie Me"s (see picture below).  It has a rice cake base, ranch dip, then carrots for ears, olives for eyes, celery for nose, red bell pepper for mouth, and lettuce for hair.  The students continually exclaimed how much they loved it.  Music to my ears was one student who said at the end, "I only liked cucumbers, but I tried these vegetables and actually really like them".  They all were asking for seconds on the vegetables.



Tomorrow is "Chef Day" where we will make chef hats, make english muffin pizza, write the recipe for it, make cherry pie in a cup, and finish the day with a relaxing time watching Pixar's Ratatouille.  It should be a very fun day.  Friday's special snack will be homemade ice cream in the afternoon!

Last night was week #2 of our preaching seminar and it was such a blessing.  We walked out and I was so refreshed from his preaching from the Word of God.  It was so meaningful.  I highly encourage you to listen to it.

I must get back to being productive though.  Until next time, grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment