Saturday, January 22, 2011

New Furniture!

Our campus truly has seen God's goodness recently. The building I live in has been used as a women's dorm for...let's just say a very long time. The same furniture has been used for just about as long, if not as long. The school has been wanting to get new furniture for quite some time now, but it has been a struggle because other needs have come up, and it isn't like the old furniture was unusable, you just had to be delicate with it, haha. A 'sister' college had recently had to close a few years back, and long story short, they offered to let us buy there new furniture that had only been used for a few years. The school (in school I mean the higher-ups. I did not know any of this until after) began to pray about this offer when Dr. A (the president of the college) met a man in the airport who offered to buy all of the furniture and pay for transportation.

Through some minor inconveniences (losing our desks the day before fall semester exams started, and sleeping on the floor for one night), our new furniture arrived yesterday! Thursday afternoon we took a lot of the old furniture out: chairs, bed frames, some mattresses, cinder blocks (used to prop beds up), and of course, the desks had already been taken out. Friday afternoon two semis arrived on our campus, packed floor to ceiling like a puzzle. The guys were all assigned shifts, to which we are so grateful. They were a huge help. It was so amazing watching the entire campus pull together to get everything done. Guys and girls carried things in from outside (and might I add it was frigid yesterday), and there were a few teams of guys that would assemble the beds. It was a science. As far as I know, no one was injured. Several students are kind of hobbling around (it is hard work lifting and climbing and walking after being a student of sitting at a desk doing homework), but beyond being sore, we are all fine--Praise the Lord!

I am so thankful for this wonderful gift, and thought I would show you some pictures of the new furniture and how I arranged it! I guess I didn't post pics of how my room was arranged after my roommate left, but here are some pics of how my room was at the beginning of the year, with the old furniture.

As you walk into my room, this is what you see diagonal to the corner with the door. The next few pictures are from the other corners moving clockwise.
Here a few closer ups.

I love the hutch on my desk! Each room gets two beds, two dressers (our old dressers are still in because the hot water heater goes through it, so that will be a chore for another time), two desks, two chairs, and two hutches.
As you can see in this picture, the hutches can go on the dresser too. Everything can stack!
The quilt my mom made me makes just about anywhere home. She is so talented, and I am thankful for the bed quilt, and lap quilt she made me. Also thankful for her teaching my younger sister, who quilted the pillow in the above picture. There are lights in the ceiling in both the corners over where the desks used to be, but since the top bunk now covers the light coming from that at night, I strung white lights under the top bunk so if I ever wanted to read, I could have light!
So very thankful for the Lord's goodness to us here on campus!

Read more, and see more pictures at ABC's facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment