Monday, November 15, 2010

encouraged by friends, church family, and the Word of God

The weather this week has been absolutely gorgeous! It has helped add to making this past week a wonderful week. Last weekend I plowed away at my homework, which freed this week up a ton! I was able to enjoy the week, and be working on this upcoming week's homework instead of cramming to finish quickly.

This weekend, I got to see the Petersons (friends from home)! What an encouragement that was to me. I dilly dallied around my room all yesterday morning (since I didn't get to sleep in due to the the truck right outside my window working on the rood), and was excited when the call came at around 12:45 that they were on campus! I quickly ran to go see them. I was able to give them a tour of campus here, and then we went out for a very yummy lunch at Chili's! After lunch, we drove over to the bridge, one of the things West Virginia is known for. We walked around and went into the visitor's center for a while. After that, Mr. Peterson insisted on driving down the windy one lane road to the bottom of the gorge. It is especially neat when you do that, because you get a while new perspective from driving under the bridge. On our way back to campus, we stopped for ice cream. All the time sharing good laughs and conversation. They were not able to stay the night, so once we got back to campus, they pretty much turned around, in order to get a few hours under their belt. I so appreciate their being willing to drive the few hours out of their way to come see me!

Later on Saturday evening I went to a birthday party of one of my friends. It was a surprise party and we had lots of fun waiting to jump out at him. One guy hid on top of the soda machine, and another guy attempted to hide in a trash can, only to find he was much too big. I am not sure how surprised Sam was, but it was still fun. Hannah, Miriam, Meg, and Emilie had made some pies early on, and we all went outside so Sam could blow out the candles (didn't want to set the fire alarms off). They started to dish a piece of pie out only to find it was much too hard, so instead everyone (minus me because I will still so full from the ice cream) grabbed a spoon and dug into the pie! The guys acted as if they hadn't eaten in weeks. I must confess it was comical, mainly because this isn't a common occurring, it was something out of the ordinary to have fun and be crazy. We hung out in the lounge for a while, with the occasional interruptions of the guys jumping onto the floor in a hog pile screaming "Men on the floor" (what is called when a man must enter the dorm, they were making fun of it). A fun time was had by all.

Yesterday was wonderful as I got to be a helper for Sunday School! I love to teach, but I must admit, it is nice to get a break once in a while, and be able to be crowd control (which isn't always any easier, haha). I love my church family down here, and love being in the Sunday morning time of corporate worship. Yesterday was no exception. We have been studying the book of Daniel, and that has challenged me in so many different ways. I so appreciate my pastor and his preaching directly from the Word of God. I do look forward to being with my church family at home though this coming weekend. Yesterday afternoon, I worked on some homework, and then took a wonderful nap. It was dreary outside (adding to the sleeping atmosphere), and I was as snug as a bug in a rug. As always, Sunday night we went to the Dingus home, where we enjoyed some delicious food, fellowship, laughs, and time in the Word of God. We got into some deep conversations concerning 'the grey areas'. What an encouragement the Dingus family has been to myself, as well as the other college students.

Today has started out well, and I am looking forward to a presentation I have this afternoon. It is for elementary education, and I am feeling very prepared (a great feeling). This week doesn't look too bad, and Friday looks especially wonderful. Friday after my last class, I will be heading home with some other students who live about two hours north of me. Praising the Lord, and rejoicing in this day the Lord has made!

No comments:

Post a Comment