Sunday, February 10, 2013

Week #2

My second week began with a snow day being called on Sunday evening.  It was fun knowing ahead of time.  Monday morning I was able to speak in advisor's chapel on campus.  It is different being in these shoes, but I pray I was able to help some of the el ed students see how worth it is.  I don't sugar coat things....it is HARD!  But....it is so worth it when you know this is what God has.

I was able to observe four other classes this week, which was fun.  I went in consecutive order which I found very interesting to see the progression in development.  It was fun seeing the variety in teaching styles too.  I learned a lot, to be sure!

I started read aloud this week.  We are reading Junie B. Jones is a Party Animal! I love this time because the students are absolutely captivated by reading.  I make it my personal goal to read with SO much expression...and we all have a blast.

I taught my first two 'real' lessons this week.  On Wednesday, we played Musical Hula Hoops and Rabbit/Coyote.  The students seemed to really enjoy it.  The noise level was hard because we had to do it in the cafeteria with preschoolers napping just down the hallway.  Hopefully we didn't wake any sleeping bears.

On Thursday, I taught an art lesson.  We started the story of Moses and so we made "Moses in the Blushes".  They practiced their skills with scissors.  They colored a picture of baby Moses in a basket, cut it out, and glued it on a blue piece of paper.  They then traced their hands on green paper and cut them out to make the bulrushes.  When glue only at the bottom of the palm, they are able to push the fingers/bulrushes back and see Moses.  They did such a great job, maybe pictures next week!

Parent teacher conferences were on Friday.  It was a little nerve-wracking before they occurred, but my host teacher handled it so well and put me to ease.  I was able to meet two of my students' parents.  It was such a great experience to be able to learn from my host teaching in this setting.

This coming week I start teaching Bible.  I will continue the story of Moses as well as we will add Psalm 23:5 to our Bible memory (they are so good with it).  With it being Valentine's day on Thursday we have some special activities planned.  I will continue Read Aloud (all twelve weeks), probably do another PE lesson, probably another art lesson, learning center, teaching aid, technology highlights, and so on!  If you are praying for me, I thank you!

Also this week, I have a special visitor coming....my sweet fiancé!  He wont be up long, but I will take him for as long as I can.
Well folks, this teacher has turned into an ole fuddy duddy and 9:45 means bed time.  So I thank you for taking interest in this great  adventure that the Lord is leading me through called Student Teaching!

No comments:

Post a Comment