Tuesday, February 23, 2010

and you wonder why...

And you wonder why I have such a passion for teaching, and for children? Well, let me give you a few reasons why....

1) This is a God given passion of mine. I absolutely love children and spending time with them, and I love teaching. One of the greatest joys someone with this passion can have is when you have been trying to teach something to a student, and all of a sudden 'the light bulb goes off' and their face lights up. God gave me this passion and the gifts to carry it through. All glory goes to Him for this desire and passion.

2) I get to be a big kid. I have the opportunity to color, and cut, and glue, and everything else like that. I am constantly dealing with fun colors.

3) It is a challenge and delight when you accomplish that challenge to put this lesson on the level of the students you are teaching. Especially with elementary education, I get to think up creative activities for the students to do to instill the lesson in their mind. I have had the opportunity in Children's Church at church, and I have learned so much more about some of the Bible Stories because I had to think up 6-10 activities to get the story and application across to the children.

4) Have you ever thought of how technology can be a part of your classroom? I didn't so much until this semester in taking Introduction to 21st Century Classroom Technology. I have learned more practical applications for my future classroom in this class, then any other. Most of us think of Microsoft Word as a tool to type papers and documents, but that isn't even the beginning of what you can do on Microsoft Word. Even the kindergarten students can use it. If they are learning shapes, get them on Microsoft Word and let them use the shapes option to make pictures out of shapes (such as a person: circle for head, square for the trunk, rectangle for arms and legs and so on). Kids are learning the computer at an earlier and earlier age, and therefore they need to be taught earlier (they may be required to make a powerpoint presentation in third grade). With doing this, it teaches the child how to click and drag, how to open a program, and other lessons. As a teacher, I can use Microsoft Word to type letters home to the parents with pictures and up-to-date information. All over the internet are interactive games to help instill the lessons taught in the classroom. As a teacher, I can create a blog for my parents to check out where I can keep them up-to-date on what is happening in the classroom, without having to waste paper. This is just beginning on my excitement for the technology aspect of teaching.

These are just a few reasons as to why I am confident that I am to be in elementary education. God has been so good to me in making this clear to me. Many people switch their major several times throughout college, but elementary education has been my dream since fourth grade. Praise the Lord for His provision.

No comments:

Post a Comment