Sunday, March 27, 2011

He is my strength

I am thankful today is Sunday.  Sunday is my favorite day of the week.  Mainly because it is the day I take off from academics.  There are a few times when I have had to do something school related on a Sunday, but I try my absolute best to prevent that from happening, and it usually works out.  It is the fourth Sunday of the month, so I taught my 4-5s.  Recently I have been struggling with having the proper attitude about teaching for church, because I have simply been spread thin and worn out.  This week though the Lord gave me a burst of energy, and two great opportunities of teaching.  Praise Him!

This morning I taught on the resurrection of Jesus.  The passage in the Bible was short enough that I taught directly from the Bible without any notes, and what a blessing that was.  I tried something semi new in allowing the kids to color while I taught.  It was a huge success!  The kids weren't talking, but they were still participating and raising their hands when I asked a question (the dream of a teacher).  It is amazing how much better I feel about a lesson when I have taught directly from the Bible, because it is nothing I can say to those kids that will change their lives, but instead, it is the Word of God.  We reenacted the story twice, and the kids did such a cute job, and had definitely caught the facts of the story and the commands Jesus had given.  The other aspect I love that they caught very strong was the fact that God kept His promise by Jesus rising again on the third day.  That is a truth I have been working on the kids on Wednesday too--God NEVER breaks a promise.  Proud of my church kids, and thankful for each of them!

I worked a bit this week at the Snackshop, and had several observations.  Work went well, though it was quite exhausting.  Observations were a lot of fun.  On Tuesday, I was in a gifted classroom where a fourth grade student was reading on a twelfth grade level!  She is truly a genius.  Most of the students in that class will be taking Algebra in sixth grade.  I don't think I would like to teach a gifted class though because I don't think I would be able to teach them.  Their form of learning would be through teaching me, haha.  Another day of observations, I got to teach part of a reading lesson to three special ed boys.  I enjoyed doing it, and the host teacher said I did well.  I had to chuckle though because I was writing on the board the word "little" and so as always I crossed both "t"s with one 'swipe'.  But one of the little boys raises his hand and says "Miss Hewitt, is that an 'H'".  The host teacher, other ABC student, and myself all laughed, and I had to tell him "no, I am sorry, it is two 't's.  I shouldn't have been so sloppy".  They sure do keep me on my toes (and not just in literal height).

An update on my grandpa is that he is doing better, but still definitely has some bad spells.  I have talked to him and Grandma both several times, and they both seem to be doing well, and up beat.

God is good, and I am trying to learn to find my strength in Him.  At this point of a college semester, a student often finds herself very exhausted and overwhelmed.  For me personally, one of the biggest things I am working on is when those worries and feelings of being overwhelmed sneak up, to take those thought captive and dismiss them.  Allowing myself to become overwhelm allows Satan to defeat me.  In talking to Mom yesterday (or maybe the other day, I don't remember) I was reminded of just how confident I am that I am to be studying elementary education.  The Lord has made that my heartbeat, and I will not allow discouragement and the feeling of overwhelmed conquer me.  God is way bigger then any assignment or project I could ever do.  I am thankful I belong to Him, and that I don't have to go through this alone, but instead He is helping me, and is my source of strength!

I hope you all have a lovely week!

No comments:

Post a Comment