Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Prayer and Incense

I am still alive.  I have simply fallen in the depths of an academic life that has taken over any social life I once thought I had.  I am a college student right now though, so I am okay with busy with academics.  After all, I am doing what I love.  I have been going through a book lately on prayer titled, Becoming a Woman of Prayer, by Cynthia Heald.  Last week the chapter was on intimacy and how God views prayer.  I love analogies and so this comparison analogy between prayer and incense struck me.


"There is a fourfold resemblance between them [prayer and incense]: 1. In that it was beaten and pounded before it was used. So doth acceptable prayer proceed from a broken and contrite heart.  2. It was of no use until fire was put under it, and that taken from the altar.  Nor is that prayer of any virtue of efficacy which is no kindled by the fire from above, the Holy Spirit of God, which we have from our altar, Christ Jesus.  3. It naturally ascended upwards towards heaven, as all offerings in the Hebrew are called "ascensions," rising up.  4. It yielded a sweet savour; which was on end of it in temple services, wherein there was so much burning of flesh and blood.  So doth prayer yield a sweet savour unto God; a savour of rest, wherein he is well pleased."
-John Owen

It has been fun doing this study and seeing how many times I am reminded throughout the day what I was studying in my quiet time earlier.  I like it when that happens.  I don't want my quiet time to go in one ear and out the other.

I do bring some prayer requests to you though:
  • RA Retreat this weekend
  • Getting all of my observations in is proving to be a struggle
  • Many very in depth projects due before the end of the semester
  • Summer plans: I have applied to Energy Express
I trust you are doing well and that the Lord is doing a mighty work in your life!  Let me know what is going on...please!

No comments:

Post a Comment