Friday, May 20, 2011

stories

I enjoyed reading two of my friends' blogs this afternoon.  Ironic as it may be, we are all Rebekahs, but mine is spelled correctly (and Biblically).  Becca H (or as I commonly call 'Beek') is studying to be a nurse and I love hearing her tell me her old people stories.  I admire her passion for the elderly and how very much she loves her job.  How many 20 yr olds would enjoy bathing, feeding, and dressing old people.  Not many, but I praise God that she enjoys it, because that relieves me from having to do it instead.  Becca B (who I also commonly refer to as 'Beek', I know, how confusing can we make it?) is like minded with me in that she is also studying to be el ed.  Currently she is taking a summer class called "Mayterm", where she is 'studying' inner city schools.  It hasn't been the most pleasant of all experiences, but I admire her positive attitude.  I loved reading their blogs this afternoon, and catching up on their stories of what has been going on.  Beek H is always armed with some of the best old people stories, and Beek B has an honesty about children that I love!  Taking a few minutes to read their blogs would be well worth your time!

I must share some of my stories now though!  The past two days I have been observing at the same school I observed over spring break.  I am thankful that this time around has been a much more pleasant experience though.  Yesterday, I observed in the 2nd grade classroom.  As soon as I got in there, one of the girls plowed into me with a giant hug.  She had no idea who I was, but still showed me love.  I was able to help several students read, and had some good conversations with the teacher.  One little girl was ecstatic when she heard I went to school in WV, she perked up and exclaimed "my Grandma lives in WV!"  Later on, I was able to help one student understand a math problem.  I so enjoyed that one-on-one with a student and math.  The teacher was so encouraging and assured me several times "you've got what it takes to be a teacher".  I am thankful my love for children and teaching is back!

One of the students was telling me how the wipes to clean their desks made her hands smell like rotten socks.  I laughed and told "they do not".  I went on with my business, and while talking to another student, she ran over and waited for me to finish.  Giggling, she stuck her hand in my face and said "see!!!"  I don't think I would describe them as rotten socks, but her hands sure did stink!

Today, I was across the hall in the 1st grade classroom.  Again, what a joy!  I came in and one girl repeatedly poked her teacher asking "who is she? who is she?"  When her teacher ignored her interrupting, she came over to me and said "Ma'am, where are you from?"  I couldn't help but chuckle.  I helped several students with reading throughout the morning, and had a blast.  I just love them all, and I barely even know them.

In these past few days, I have seen more then in my entire college career observations.  One of the classes had a hearing impaired student causing the teacher to wear a microphone.  A pretty cool gadget that I am thankful helps this student!  I also watched a student give a rude "gesture" to a teacher, and how the secular world handles discipline.  It opened my eyes to how different the discipline is between the Christian and secular world.  My discipline has always been in a Christian setting where I can ask the students "what does the Bible say about this?" or "what does God think of your actions?"  Today I watched a first grader throw a full out temper tantrum because the girl doing weather said it was cloudy instead of sunny.  I have learned so much and am so thankful for this experience!

I have been challenged through these days with the children of why God tells us to have a child-like faith.  These children barely knew me, but they looked up to me, and didn't hesitate to ask me any question at all.  They have yet to be corrupted with political correctness, and other society issues.  Something else I have noticed is the honesty of them.  If a teacher is wondering who stole something off of her desk or whatnot, the entire class quickly tells.  This may be looked as tattling (and basically is), but what I see is 100% honesty.  They don't worry about what that friend will say, but honesty is their priority.  Once you get in the upper grades, a similar situation you would find all the students silenced, because they don't want their friend to be upset with them.  I have also noticed how very quickly a young child gets over hurt feelings, or anger.  One minute the child is mad at you because you said 'no', and the next minute you are their best friend.  What are we adults thinking when we hold grudges for the longest time?  Several lessons can be taken from children, and I am thankful for this reminder through my time with the children.

No comments:

Post a Comment