Wednesday, May 18, 2011

summer happenings

What have I been doing instead of blogging?

Cleaning, Organizing, Filing, and Throwing Away!

I have so enjoyed my time at home thus far.  I shared with a few people how I had such high hopes for my three weeks at home, and wasn't overly confident that I would find a happy balance of getting everything done.  I had several things I wanted to do, some including: rest, go through school papers, reorganize my filing cabinet, sleep, cook, spend time with grandparents, clean out my closet, help mom around the house, spend time with family, relax, etc.  Those were just some of the selfish things I wanted to do.  I also had responsibilities of getting public school observation hours in.  I feared I would not find a happy medium of relaxing and doing personal things, while also accomplishing things both at home and out and about.  Anyone who knows me, knows I am a home body through and through, so the things at home weren't as much a concern as the things out and about.  But being at home, I was afraid I would either be too lazy and not get much accomplished, or I would put too much emphasis on the relaxing and sleeping, and not get anything productive done.

I am pleased to say that so far, I have had a very productive and restful summer break.  I went through so many papers and files, and threw away about a 2ft tall stack of papers--what a great feeling.  Mom keeps saying "are you positive there isn't a piece of paper in there you might want later on?"  The answer to her question is "there probably is".  But the way I look at it is, if I haven't looked at it for years, why can't I get past the feel of need for it once or twice?  I have gone through years worth of receipts, only to find that I am such a paper pack rat.  Why in the world would I keep a receipt for a pack of gum?  As if I thought, "hmm, just in case I need to return it some day".  Wow, Becky!  I have cleaned out my closet, and found many clothes to donate, some to throw away, and some I had totally forgotten I owned.  I have had many memory flashbacks too which have been so wonderful.  

This productivity has not been at the expense of my rest either.  I have been getting a fair bit of sleep, and in the evenings, have sat with my family and relaxed.  I have already been able to spend time with my grandparents, and some friends.  I have had fun cooking at my leisure.  I look forward to my dinner date with grandpa and grandma where I cook and bring dinner!

Today has not been an exception for productivity.  I decided this morning to wake up semi early for summer break and get right to work.  I have cleaned the bathroom, done some laundry, vacuumed the house, cleaned out the refrigerator, cleaned the kitchen, washed dishes, RA preparation, paper filing/organizing, and the banana bread just came out of the oven.  Aah, what a feeling of satisfaction.  Dinner is planned, and now I am waiting for my family to get home from their various activities of the day.  I am grateful to the Lord that He has given me such a love for the home and my family.

This morning, I began my summer Bible study on love.  I hope to meditate daily on a passage from 1 Corinthians 13.  I have two specific ministries in my near future involving daily interaction with people, and have recently been convicted that I don't love people as I should.  With being a camp counselor this summer, and an RA next school year, I need to learn to love people as Christ.  1 Peter 4:8 is one of the reasons I have been convicted and prompted to do this study, "Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins."  Love is the key!  If you have any verses or insight for me on this topic, please share--I have a lot of learning to do.

A quick update on my trip this summer...Plane tickets have been purchased.  I will fly out June 1st for the summer, and fly directly to Nashville (Tim and Beth) August 15th.  I would love to go home at the end of the summer, but it just isn't practical to fly home, then drive to Alabama only to drive back up to school.  I prefer to be healthy when I get to school.  Please be in prayer for me as I prepare for this ministry, and that the Lord be working in the lives of all those involved!

No comments:

Post a Comment