Saturday, October 29, 2011

a fabulous weekend

I must admit that though this has been one of my harder semesters, this semester has contained some of the best weekends!  I believe I am beginning to learn the balance between having a social life and an academic life.  I make time to have fun with friends, and just have to work harder throughout my week to get the necessary things done.  I have become a much better judge of my time.  I praise the Lord for allowing me to become an RA and learn this lesson.  Being an RA made me feel obligated to be social, and therefore I am learning this current lesson.

Speaking of weekends, this weekend has been no exception.  Friday afternoon I got some good homework done after lunch, and then had a class at 2:40 for music proficiency.  The class went all right (definitely thankful I am an el ed major), but I was glad when it was done.  Kari and I had been wanting to get together for a long Starbucks date, but we only had an hour before she had to be to work.  So instead of a long Starbucks date...we went to Starbucks (in the snow, I might add), got our drinks, and then came back to campus.  We hung out with her mom, brother, and sister on campus for a little bit before she had to clock into work.  I then helped her at work (make beds and clean), and we then enjoyed a long conversation.  I then ran up to the cafeteria, picked up some dinner for the two of us and then ran back down to her work (on campus) and we ate dinner together.  I came back to my room and got my stuff for work and headed to the Snackshak.  I got a bit of work done, and then when Kari finished work up at one end of campus she came over and hung out with me at work (it's nice that both of us have jobs we can do this at).  We attempted to watch a movie but I was a bad friend and wasn't overly paying attention and so we turned it off and just hung out.  We came back to my room, hung out some more and then I had to go to bed (so so sleepy).

I got 10.5 hours of sleep last night- how awesome is that?  I feel like a new woman today.  I looked out my blinds, only to find snow on the ground!  I worked on some homework, got ready for my day and went to lunch.  It was so good to breathe in the cool, snowy air.  I then had to work 1-3:30.  I got a Pumpkin Spice Cappuccino with homemade almond whipped cream and cinnamon sugar sprinkled on top.  I tried it last year and hated it (thought it tasted like a candle), but I really enjoyed it today.  Work went very well as I got a whole project done--a commercial for a stapler.

After work I went to the library and worked on my history homework in front of the fireplace.  When that was finished I started reading Sign of the Beaver.  What a cozy afternoon it has been inside from the frigidness outside.

I went to dinner and then came back, changed into my comfy fleece pants and have enjoyed being productive and snacking on candy corn.  I have been working on a budget today, and think I pretty much have it worked out.  I am so excited about this.  This was not created because of concern, but to an extent I like structure.  What I used to do was split up my money by percentage, with one category being "spending".  I too often thought that was money I could spend without thinking of the many different directions it needed to be going.  Now that I have my budget, year round I will be saving for Christmas, textbooks, el ed supplies, etc.  I have a specific category for gas expenses for observations and breaks to go home.  I am so excited about this, because I feel it relieves so much stress.  Next Christmas, hopefully I won't have to think "hmm, and where is the money coming from for Christmas gifts? oh take it out of my savings for school".  I like accountability and I believe this is just what I needed to increase financial maturity.  I feel like such a nerd, but this really gets me excited.

Tomorrow will be church, and a day of rest.  While in college, I have tried my best to set Sundays aside as a no-homework day.  My body needs this day, to help make it through the week.  It has done wonders!  This may be the only day in the week I have time to clean my room or do laundry, but if so, that's okay.  I love my church family down here so much and am eager to spend another day with them.  Tomorrow night will be communion and baptism (fifth Sunday).

Some upcoming countdowns...
1 week until Mission's Conference
3 weeks until Thanksgiving Break
7 weeks until Christmas Break

No comments:

Post a Comment