Thursday, December 20, 2012

it's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas...

I love college, but as hard as they try, it never quite feels like Christmas while at college.  I had the privilege of taking my exams early (because they were "in the drawer" to "take on your own time"), and so I was done academically by Friday mid-afternoon.  It was an amazing feeling.  My academic semesters are done and behind me-yikes!  Where has the time gone?  Because I am moving, I had to be checked out completely from my room by Saturday, so to add to the end-of-the-semester craziness, I was working on packing and moving.  I took a much needed break Friday night to go to the home of a couple from my church with some other college students and had a splendid time.  One thing I have been most blessed by during my college days is dear people willing to open their home and hearts to us college students.  Thankfully Daniel helped me move a bunch of stuff while he was on campus on Tuesday.  Saturday, I cleaned my room until it sparkled, and was checked out by mid-afternoon.

Saturday evening I drove in the pouring rain south to spend a few days with Daniel.  I expected to have to wander around Wal-Mart for some time until Daniel got off work, but as I walked into the store he was told he was able to go home, so I left and picked him up.  Sappy as it may be, it was so good to see him, even if we had just seen each other on Saturday.  We were able to go to church together on Sunday.  Monday afternoon we drove to Virginia in time to go to the Christmas cantata that his mom was singing in at the church his parents have been serving with.  The cantata was wonderful.  They did a special 'tribute' to the ones affected by the Newtown shooting.  The cantata's theme was "Peace on Earth" as we were challenged to think of peace as the presence of God.  Daniel's sister came over Tuesday and enjoyed a day all together.  

Wednesday morning, Daniel and I went back where I caught a flight home.  I was able to catch both flights which was a huge answer to prayer.  Grandpa and Grandma picked me up at the airport, and we went shopping before heading home.  It was so good to be home.

Being both with my family and future family has helped it feel like Christmas.  Seeing the home decorated Christmas trees, with the Christmas treats and sounds have been such a warm feeling.  Mom and I have some good time of visiting today as I am amazed at the woman I have been able to grow up under.  She has been baking cinnamon rolls all day using my Grandma Hewitt's recipe, how special.  My sister and I have had some good time tonight, and Dad has provided many laughs for us girls tonight.  We tell him frequently how privileged he is to live with all girls!

On a sober note, my heart aches for those connected and involved with the Newtown school shooting.  I may not yet be a teacher but my heart is already a teacher's heart.  Daniel and I had just been talking days before the shooting about how as a teacher, I will do whatever it takes to protect my children if a situation similar to this arose.  Having this situation come brought the reality to heart and mind.  I find my eyes continually welling up with tears as I think of these families now without their dear children for Christmas, and the rest of their years growing up.  As a teacher, how do you move on and teach when you have heard and seen this horrific shooting?  It is only by the grace of God that we can wake up to a new day and breathe, knowing that God is still on the throne.  This situation hits close to my heart, and I will remember 12.14.12, and ask that you do the same.  Remember all involved and pray that through this terrible situation, that they be drawn to the Lord.

I have only watched The Voice a few times, but I appreciate their tribute...


1 comment:

  1. So glad you made it home safely! I hope you have a blessed Christmas! Miss you.

    ReplyDelete